Trip to Ghati Subramanya



About Lord Subramaya
Subrahmanya, the god also known as Shanmukha, is known to be the elder son of Shiva and Parvathi. He is the god of snakes.

About Ghati Subrahmanya
Ghati Subrahmanya temple is located at Dodaballapur, about 60 km from Bangalore. This temple is famous as one of the seven Muktisthala pilgrimage centers in Karnataka, dedicated to Lord Subrahmanya. It is believed that the idol of Sri Subrahmanya is self originated.

The uniqueness of the temple is, Sri Subrahmanya is facing east and Sri Lakshmi Narasimha is facing west in a single image. One can have darshan of Lord Narasimha through a mirror placed rear side.

The temple contains the images of Adi Sesha and Vasuki along with lord Subramaya. The chief deity Lord Subrahmanya is seated on a peacock in the sanctum. The sand from the ant hills, collected from the sanctum, is given as prasad to the devotees. A highly revered Garuda stambha is situated in front of the sanctum.

Festivals/Pujas

Special puja's will be performed the event of Brahmarathotsava, i.e., on the day of Pushya shudda Shashti. Narasimha Jayanti is other major festival celebrated here.
Skanda Shashti, Vaikashi Vishakam and Narasimha Jayanti are major festivals celebrated here.
Marriage functions are also held here.
Free lunch is provided daily for the devotees

How to reach?
By Road:

Ghati Subrahmanya it is about 60 kms from Bangalore and has to be reached via Doddaballapur. You can reach Doddaballapur from Bangalore Kempegowda Bus Station (Bangalore Majestic). Direct buses are available but they are not frequent. Local transportation is available from Doddaballapur to Ghati Subrahmanya.
If you intend to use your own vehicle then, take the road which leads you to Devanahalli (New International airport). From there take a left turn which takes you to Doddaballapur. From Doddaballapur, it is about 10 kms.

By Rail:

Nearest Railway station: Makali Durga on the Bangalore - Guntakal line.

By Air:

Nearest Airport: Devanahalli, Bengaluru (i.e., Bangalore).


My experience:

I visited Ghati Sri Subrahmanya Temple two times.
On my first journey, I started from Madiwala at 5:40 AM to Majestic. I reach Majestic (Kempegowda Bus Station) at 6:00 AM; there I had taken a cup of coffe.
I got the bus to Doddaballapur (Bus No.: 285M) at 6:45 AM. It takes one and half hour to reach Doddaballapur. This bus passes through 'Meera circle', 'Hebbala', 'Yelhanka'. I reach Dodballapur by 8AM. There I visited a small Hanuman temple. From there I got KSRTC bus to Ghati.
From Doddaballapur it is a village road, but in good condition. The drive gets interesting here with curves on the road. Minor ghat sections here.
I get down Ghati by 9:15 AM. I visited Lord Subrahmanya in the temple. I wish to do Ksherabishekam (milk). The abhishekam is started by 10:30AM. I have little bit of time. In the mean time I visited temple surroundings like 'Kumaradhara Pushkarani', and the site view. The site view is awesome. After performing Ksherabhishekam, I return back to Bangalore.

3 comments: